Monday's Musings (on a Wednesday) - Battling Depression with Medical Help

I cannot claim any status as an expert in the arena of medical intervention for depression. I just know that sometimes the fact that our bodies are out of whack can cause or add to depression and so help is needed with that.


Lots of ladies have found that hormonal help through doctor-prescribed drugs or through herbal and/or essential oils have alleviated post-partum depression and other forms of depression. I discovered after my fourth baby that I had sluggish thyroid issues and was helped through supplementation. Few doctors, however, are knowledgable or equipped to do the fine testing that thyroid issues need. (See Mary Shomon's articles for more in-depth information.)


I am leery of some mind-altering types of medical help and would look closely into that before submitting to it as I know some have actually become more suicidal because of them. Staying in close contact with your doctor and/or counselor could help with that.

I also know that one's sleep patterns affect mood and mental state, so maybe you'd need help in getting restful sleep. There are a lot of natural supplements out there to help, including melatonin and inositol (Vitamin B8). Sleeping pills also bring a leery feeling to me as they are so easily abused and when you're not in your right mind (as in severely depressed) might not be the time to have them so close.

Another issue to think about is the possibility of demon oppression. I know that's not a popular topic these days, but I believe it still happens. Neil Anderson's books could be helpful as could talking with your pastor or a Christian counselor. Anderson has formed a counseling system called Freedom in Christ Ministries through which you might be able to find a local counselor.

Whatever your issue, or wherever you are on the continuum of levels of depression, I hope and pray that you receive the help you need, whether getting regular outdoor time, giving thanks, hormonal help, or whatever. May God give you the peace that surpasses all understanding even though you may be walking through the valley of the shadow of death.

My other posts on battling depression are here:
10 Steps Out of Depression
Battling Depression with God's Word





No comments:

Post a Comment