Monday's Musing - 10 Steps Out of the Pit of Depression (or Slough of Despond)

I have ever (in all my 58 years) only known one person that I can remember who says she has not been depressed. And she had reason to be depressed as her husband was unfaithful to her.

For the rest of us mere mortals, I'm guessing that we periodically suffer from despression. More than "the downers," depression is caused by a variety of things, including loneliness, feelings of failure, loss of some kind, or Seasonal Affective Disorder. Depression can last a long time, or be a passing things that returns with various triggers. Sometimes it leads to long-lasting consequences like the break-up of a marriage, lost jobs, or even suicide because it can sap the mind of logic, the body of strength to get up and going, and the heart of the will to live. If depression is severe and long-lasting, definitely seek professional help in the form of godly counseling and/or medical/hormonal help.

Since I've been fortunate enough to never have severe depression, I've been able, through the grace of God and wise counselors (my mother is a good one), to make some steps for myself to climb out of the pit of depression.

Being a visual person, I made myself a little graphic (no, I'm not a computer genius, so I stick to colored pens) to remind myself and maybe help others of those steps.


In case you can't clearly read the Scripture there, here it is:

        Psalm 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the LORD; 
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.
He also brought me up out of a horrible pit.
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
He has put a new song in my heart/mouth -
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the LORD.




I'm sure there are other steps that have been helpful to others and I'd love to hear them, so please share some of your helps in the comments.
In the upcoming weeks I hope to address each of the steps more fully on Monday's Musings, so I hope you'll stop in again and let's talk about how God can put a new song in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment