Monday's Musings: On Battling Depression with God's Word


Today I want to dig a little deeper into the thought of running to God's Word for truth and comfort.


Frequently, the cause of our depression is the lies that are filling our heads. Satan is the father of lies and likes to tell us:

  • You are a failure in everything. 
  • You can't please anybody.
  • You're so dumb.
  • You are such a disappointment.
  • You're ugly and fat.
  • You'll never improve or get anywhere.
  • No one could love you.
And the list could go on.

I remember reading wise words from Nancy Wilson some time ago where she said that Satan fills our minds with general and overall accusations whereas the Holy Spirit convicts us of particular sins for which we can repent and seek forgiveness. So, if we're getting the "I'm a complete failure" accusations, we can know that's not from God. Instead, listen to the words that offer repentance (change by turning from the sin, leaning on God's power) and forgiveness (which our loving Father is so happy to give).

Our fleshly nature is also so prone to exaggerate our worthlessness (or go to the other extreme and think that we are the cat's pajamas!) by thinking that our failure in one or two areas means we are complete failures. Silly us.

So, let's seek truth from Scripture where God shows His love for us, His desire for fellowship with us, His willingness to forgive and restore us.

I have a bookmark that I read over periodically that came from Freedom in Christ Ministries. It helps me to see who I am because of what Christ has done for me.


Rememberling that Romans 12:2 tells me to be transformed by the renewing of my mind, I work to think these truthful kind of thoughts.

 But if I have sinned, and that is the cause of my depression, I need to repent of that sin and restore my relationship with my forgiving Father and His people before I can be freed of nagging conviction.


I have also found the book of Psalms to be comforting, promise-giving, eye-opening, and trust-inducing. The various Psalmists don't pull their punches and David, especially, lets us in on his suffering, continued reiteration of his trust in God even though answers aren't readily given, and his healing through that trust and God's provision. It's encouraging to focus on God's greatness and the Psalms, and other Scriptures, help us to do that.

Here are some of my favorite encouragements:

        Psalm 9:9-10 The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed,
        a stronghold in times of trouble.
        And those who know your name put their trust in you,
        for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.



        Psalm 13
How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.

Psalm 27:14
You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
you have loosed my sackcloth
and clothed me with gladness,
that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent.
LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever!



         All of Psalm 40, which starts out with:
         I waited patiently for the LORD;
he inclined to me and heard my cry.
            He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the miry bog,
        and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure.
            He put a new song in my mouth,
a song of praise to our God.
        Many will see and fear,
and put their trust in the LORD.   


                                                                                                                                                   Psalm 51 - David's prayer of repentance and renewal. Recently I've been encouraged           by verses 12 and 13 with the hope of still being able to rightly influence other despite             my failings:
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, 
and uphold me by Your generous spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
and sinners shall be converted to You.  


                                                                                                                                                  There are so many more encouragements in God's Word and in books which expound on his Word, some of which I'll mention in future posts. The deepest healing comes from change made through the Holy Spirit and He speaks primarily through His Word.

                                                                                                                                             Now go dig for some healing treasures in His Word and then join me next week as we look at prayer. And may God bless you!


    







2 comments:

  1. I really like your bullet journal steps, very cool! Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a very visual person, I find that I can cement things in my mind better if I lay them out on paper in a logical way.

      Delete