Winter Storm Watch

 While I watch for the storm to come later this evening, I'm enjoying the less threatening snowfall throughout the day. Since I'm tucked into my cozily warm cottage and we have plenty of firewood, groceries, and even water stocked up, I feel quite privileged to follow my husband's injunction this morning to be more relaxed and enjoy the day.



Of course, I still have my housekeeping to do. (The kitchen needs some extra attention after having our daughter and son-in-law over for supper last night and spending the evening in a well-fought battle of Trivial Pursuit.) But most of the day is dedicated to catching up on blog-reading, cross-stitching, and hopefully sewing.

I've done more research into growing barley sprouts/fodder for the rabbits and am being more faithful at watering them twice a day instead of just once, so I think they're going to do better. We'll see. I also plan to feed them a few days earlier than before for maximum nutrition. If I can get the whole process to be more streamlined and efficient, I'll be able to grow some for the quails, too, when we get them.


Meanwhile, the bunnies are getting more adventurous and coming out of the nestbox.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I completely finished this small (2"x3") cross-stitch from Sweet Annet's Etsy shop yesterday and got it mailed off to my daughter for her birthday. I think it's super cute and hope she enjoys it.



So last night I started the next one for the daughter whose birthday is at the end of the month. I hope to play with that a little this afternoon while I watch some Sister Boniface Mysteries.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I've been investigating doing more indoor gardening beyond my salad shoots...


...and regrowing store-bought green onions...


...so Matt the Cat (aka Mr. Licky-licky, or Stupe-stupy) though he needed to help with the Youtube research on grow-lights. He was, of course, extremely helpful. I have some shelving set up in our woodstove room where it's nice and warm usually, but need more lighting. My Lovey will probably help me set up a more economical lighting system, cuz he's smart that way, than what we might buy.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Look at what my sister-in-law posted a picture of on Facebook:



As you read, you fill in some color for each book. There isn't enough space on this one to stitch in the title of the book, but one could redesign a much larger project and do so. ๐Ÿ˜‰ So, now I have "I-really-want-to-do-this-even-though-I-already-have-too-many-projects-and-plans" anxiety. ๐Ÿ˜Š (That needs to be shortened to "IRWTDTETIAHTMPAP anxiety" though it's not much shorter.) Ah, so many projects, so little time.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I did make some progress on my Sew Scrappy Spools quilt last week:


And I did get my January wall-hanging hung, only a few days after the first:






*~*~*~*~*~*~*
So, the crafting goals for this week are:

* Cross-stitch next birthday mini
* More progress on Sew Scrappy Spools (I have a sewing day planned with a friend, so I ought to be             able to make good progress then.)
* Add a strip of fabric to backing for first Christmas wallhanging gift so I can pin-baste it.
* Begin hand-quilting said Christmas gift

I also want to do better at meal planning so I can try out some new recipes instead of just defaulting to the same-old, same-old.

Can you see the snow coming down?






10 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! What a cute header picture. Gosh, that card you sent your DIL is so darn cute. And that cross stitch book shelf!! How clever is that?! It's a fun way to encourage reading and get in some cs at the same time. Your yard looks very much like our - we are in SE Wisconsin. Snow day for the schools although we haven't had much yet. It's supposed to snow throughout the night. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the compliments! The header picture is my silly kitty, Matt, who is normally called Stupe-stupey because he's "dumb as a box of rocks" but very loveable. :) (I'm allowed to call my kitties names that I wouldn't call people. heh)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the snow while getting some of your goals finished. I know how it is to be distracted by other little project. Found you over at Melva's

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Christmas quilts are still up. I need a weekend at home to redecorate. Your indoor plants are inspiring. I love eating sprouts and the nutrition in them is phenomenal! I should follow suit. There is just really a great spot for them at the moment. I'm sure your cute little bunnies are loving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wonderful thing about growing these shoots is that you can just do it on a windowsill, if said sill is a kind of wide one. I learned from Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening by Peter Burke.

      Delete
  4. There's a lot for me to comment on here but I'll narrow it down to a few:
    We got hit hard with a snowstorm Monday night and lost power for almost 12 hours so I'm wondering if that's the same storm? Also, I noticed your quote from Ember Rising: I found those books last year but still need to read #4. And I'm curious about that Nathaniel Hawthorne challenge! (I saw his home--inspiration for the House of the Seven Gables--in Salem 5 or 6 years ago. Creepy town but worth seeing that.). I don't make time for cross stitch, tho I used to enjoy it when I was younger, and that shelf of books to fill in looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have kept an eye on S.D.Davis's Instagram for sales of his Green Ember and associated kindle books, so have been able to collect them all at stupid-cheap prices. I sent hard copies to my grandson as gifts. Good stories!
    Check out https://www.belleslibrary.com/ for the Nathanuary Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim. Your post was just too full of fun photos and inspiration. Love the idea of sprouting the bunny feed. Your cross stitch is so sweet. I’m sure your daughter loved it. I hope you’ve stayed home and warm. Here in British Columbia we got the snow, then the deep freeze (with some power outages) and tonight we are supposed to get 8” of the pretty white stuff. I really enjoyed your yard photo and the very creative, artistic fence in that photo. Thank you for linking with ToDo Tuesday. I’m still catching up on last week’s linkups ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your snow is beautiful, Kim. We had a dusting, but nothing like that, though it took a couple of days to thaw because it turned to ice. We thankfully also had plenty of groceries and did not lose power! YAY! Your blocks look great and that little cross stitch is just gorgeous! Love it! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete