Report and New Goals - Aug 7-12

 Well, this past week wasn't overly successful in the realm of stated goals, but I did get some good things done and hope to do more in the upcoming week. I think since it's garden preservation time, my choice of OMG is a little unrealistic. It's kinda time-consuming and complex. So I'm not gonna kick myself if I don't get it done. In fact, any progress on it will be a thrill.

So, besides that, here were last week's goals:

In the sewing nook:

* Catch up on Christmas in July quilt-along Didn't get into sewing nook at all

* Now that I have my new lightbox, get back to Everyday Emboidery Got too busy with other stuff

* Finish up the last bits of the pillowcase embroidery and sew it together. Still didn't get into sewing nook

In the garden/homestead:
* Spread vermicompost everywhere (Yup, I'm thinking of the line in "Hello, Dolly" about money only      being good if, like manure, it's spread around.) Happily done
* Keep harvesting and preserving, particularly the beans & greens Done
* Begin building rabbit cages, at least two With the stuff I already had, I built a buck cage and a 3-section quail cage

Since I got my cage wire (closet shelving) at Restore and had just grabbed up a bunch of it, I had quite a variety of sizes and shapes and some were not quite long enough. But...I AM A QUILTER...therefore I can do patchwork. 😁


With my trusty assistant, Charlie, AKA George, AKA Grog, AKA Your Majesty, I zip-tied it all together into a fairly respectable buck cage and quail condo (not pictured).



* Call the dude about a California buck rabbit Done, though it was the dudette who answered the phone. They're holding one for me.

In my easy chair:
* Finish reading - The Sustainable Homestead by Angela Farraro-Fanning Done. Good read though nothing astounding
* Read from On Getting Out of Bed by Alan Noble Did some. This one takes much rumination.
* Read from Year of No Garbage by Eve O. Schaub Only got into the introduction
* Read from Soul Revolution by John Burke Good stuff. Part of my morning quiet time with the Lord.

In the community:
* Volunteer at animal shelter Yes. Wish I could bring them all home (not the dogs; I'm not a dog person, but I'm kind to them anyhow.)





* Get to know more people at new church I did it! I walked up to someone and started a conversation and it was nice.

So now, as I sip on my coffee float (made from leftver coffee and ice cream), I'll state the goals for this upcoming week.

On the homestead/garden/preservation kitchen
* Keep up with harvesting and preserving garden produce


Besides fermenting my collection of multi-colored beans, I'm also canning some in pints. I've not done much pressure canning since I used to freeze my produce in plastic baggies. But I'm trying to purge myself from as much plastic as possible plus I'd like to have some foods readily available and safe if the power goes out (blizzards are not uncommon up here). So this is kind of a new adventure for me.


* Figure out if I can revamp my compost system without getting stung by the yellow jackets which have set up house therein. I may have to wait till after frost.

* Harvest and dry herbs

* Plan and draw mosaic layout for Hobbit Hole walls - The Hobbit Hole was our quarantine project when we needed an egress to the basement bedroom. We got a little carried away and turned it into a little patio area...


...with some gardening added to the terraces.


Last year I did a little mosaic and left it through the winter to see how it would do. It survived, so I hope to do lots more, slowly but surely.


* Harvest and press more flowers for cardmaking and other crafts





At the sewing machine: (let's hope I can actually get there)

* Cut out and sew at least 5 bib/burpie sets for New Life Pregnancy Care Center (I popped into the newly discovered center on Thursday and was greeted with an enthusiastic hug when I said I wanted to sew and crochet for the babies, so I'm excited to be able to serve this way.)

* Catch up on Christmas in July quilts

* Choose at least one row of my row quilt/OMG to work on

In my handwork chair: (while helping Father Brown and Miss Marple solve murder mysteries)

* Finish the newly begun (squirrel!) cross-stitch bib for the pregnancy center


* Continue working on this also newly begun dragonfly baby afghan for New Life 
(Pattern here: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nanas-square-dancing-dragonflies)


I was tickled to find a bunch of full skeins of yarn for a good price at Goodwill just before I stopped in at New Life, so I bought some, thinking to make Linus quilt/blankets, but found a more local use. I think I have enough for four afghans. Oh, joy!

In my reading chair: (which is often the same as my handworking chair)

* Skim The Seven-Step Homestead by Leah M. Webb
* Study The Art of Natural Cheesemaking by David Asher
* Continue marinating in Soul Revolution by John Burke
* Continue Eight Cousins by L.M. Alcott


Well, I'd better quit jabbering and get at some of these things. Have a delightful week!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kim. Thanks for joining Sew & Tell. If you will email me your mailing address, I'll get you mini quilt sent to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would really struggle working with all those cats and leaving them there! I only want one cat in our home (previously had two) so I just can't even look! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kim. You are certainly staying busy. Love the wall and patio area that you have created and the bottle trees- so cute. Clever to use old broken plates for creating a mosaic. Glad to hear that it held up through the winter. I save mine in hopes of creating something with them. Have a wonderful and productive day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those kittens. It would be a hard to leave them there...and the dogs too, for me! Love the cross stitch bib!

    ReplyDelete