New Reading Challenge Discovery and Catching Up on a Neglected One





Yeah, yeah. I know we're already way into April and I'd be rather behind, but when you discover and new Reading Challenge in a genre which already interests you and in which you already spend a lot of time, you just have to go for it.

So my hope is to attain Rennaissance Reader status (10 books in a year) in this challenge at Passages to the Past. That is, if they'll let me in at this late date. I think "better late than never" but we'll see.

I am nearly done with Hostage Lands by Douglas Bond which I'm doing as a read-aloud with my youngest daughter. It's an excellent story of a boy who, though hating his Latin class and teacher, finds them both useful when he accidentally discovers an ancient text written by a Roman soldier stationed on Hadrian's Wall. The boy is able to translate the story of treachery, unexpected friendship, and a revelation of the God of peace. It's very well written and suspenseful and we are enjoying it.

Next up in our historical readings will be the Eagle of the Ninth trilogy by Rosemary Sutcliff. Having read some of the series, I'm eager to read all of it.

******************

Another challenge that has sadly been neglected in all the busyness of my daughter's wedding planning (Read the "apocalypse wedding" story here), repainting a room and moving another daughter into it, continued homeschooling of a very extroverted child, blah, blah, blah, is the Themed Victorian Reading Challenge here.
As I read the rules more carefully, I discovered that several of the books I'd planned to read did not fall into the time period, so I had fun exploring and planning what Victorian authors or non-fictions to read. I was happy to see that George MacDonald fits into this time period as I've been wanting to read more of his fiction, of which I have quite a collection. So, hopefully I'll make progress on that now.

I don't know about you, but with the busyness, and stress, and being on social media more to stay in contact with people, I find I struggle more with reading some of the "heavier" authors, like Elizabeth Goudge. I've been reading fluffy "cozy mysteries" and want to get back to heftier stuff. So, hopefully this Victorian challenge will help me do that as well as the Elizabeth Goudge readalong on Instagram.

Happy reading!







No comments:

Post a Comment