Oh, My! The Busyness of Summer

 Ok, so homeschooling is done for the year and you'd think I'd have more time for sewing. But, no! It's yardening time now.


My dh and dd have been working hard at sawmilling the 15-20 pines we removed from our front yard since they were tall frilly toothpick things that didn't offer shade, beauty, or windbreak and we want the lumber to refinish our basement. So, in the interst of using up all that's useful, we built some raised beds out of the slabs. I tell everyone that in the making of them I was breaking my back so I wouldn't have to break my back later while gardening.


We had lots of leftover sand (that's what our soil is) from when we dug the egress patio for the basement access, so, with my strong son-in-law's help we filled the beds to within a foot of the top with that and then finished off with some topsoil. The gridwork is made with 8 foot long scrap strips from the milling and surveying stakes bought from my husband's employer. It's all held together with good old zip ties (the other thing besides duct tape that holds the world together).


I'm working on a few more trellises, but haven't made a lot of progress because it's been raining nearly constantly for the last few days. The garden was happy, but it's also happy with the sunshine we've had today.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Though I haven't had a lot of sewing time, I did manage to finish the kitty baby quilt top for my first granddaughter. It's now at the quilter's and I'm eager to get it done and gifted at the baby shower next week.



So, that's what I've mostly been up to while not blogging. I've really found peace and fulfillment in my domestic arts lately, taking up sprouting seeds again, continuing to bake sourdough bread when it's not too hot to do so, growing flowers, and harvesting mint for tea. I'm thankful to be able to do the things I enjoy and use them in the service of my family and others.

Besides linking with the parties on the right sidebar, I also linked here: http://www.sewcando.com/

1 comment:

  1. I love that term, “yardening !” Congratulations on becoming a grandmother. Your baby cat quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete