The Green Ember by S. D. Smith - Book Review



 Hoping to give this book to my grandson for Christmas, I decided I wanted to share the adventure with him, so I listened to the audio version by Joel Clarkson and was treated royally to a great story done by a great reader. You can read a synopsis elsewhere, so I'll just give a few of my impressions here. 


I love the love between family members. I love the true-to-life feelings that the children have when separated from their other family members though I feel like this aspect was (perhaps intentionally?) left a little vague. I love the rising above terrible circumstances to carry on and to fight for what is right. I love the little touches of humor and comaraderie. I love the suspense. I love that not all the problems are solved in one quick telling of a story; that you must live with your unanswered questions till the next book. And, being a former rabbit-raiser, I love that it's about rabbits.


The audio version is masterfully done. Clarkson differentiates the voices and speaks clearly enough that I could speed it up some and still understand well. It sounds like he had fun recording.


Get it. Read or listen to it. Be inspired. Share with others. It's available in many formats.


1 comment:

  1. I purchased this book on your recommendation and gave it to my grandson for Christmas. He double checked to see if the book would count for his reading excellence goal and it does! I hope he finishes it soon, so I can read it too!.

    ReplyDelete