Book Review - On Hiking the Appalachian Trail at 67


I just finished a wonderful book that I'd seen at a gift shop in the Smokey Mountains. It's the inspiring story of a 67-year-old lady who walked the Appalachian Trail along and is very interestingly presented, not just as facts and stats about her walk, though those are tucked in, too. Instead, it's told as the story of a lady who did not have life handed to her on a silver platter by any means. The way Montgomery weaves her past story with her current trail walk keeps it a little suspenseful. It is very well done.

I first saw the book after huffing and puffing up a to a gift shop in the Smokey Mountains. After seeing what awful shape I've let myself get in this winter and then reading this book, I'm inspired to do a lot of walking/hiking now that the weather has turned in the favor of such activities.

I highly recommend this book to all, even if you're not that interested in hiking or the Appalachian Trail. It's just a good, well-told story.

I'm not figuring out how to fit this book into any of my 2019 reading challenges, but that's ok - I'm glad I read it.






1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book and read it earlier this year. I found her book to be inspiring as a through hiker of the AT myself her descriptions of the trail and how she felt physically at times were spot on. I have read a few other books of the Appalachian Trail and this was one of my favorites. If you have the chance Bill Bryson's a Walk in the Woods is quite good.

    ReplyDelete