Battling Depression with Nature

I have to admit up front that I'm preaching to myself on this one at this season in Michigan, USA. While I know that being out in nature, even if it is just a walk through a park, is so uplifting to the soul and spirits, I really despise cold. And that's all there is outside these days where I live. And this time of the year is when I most need encouragement and help out of depression. I love sunshine and that's hard to come by here in the winter. So I do a happy dance whenever there is sunshine on the snow.


Yes, it can be very beautiful, and when I make the effort to get bundled up and go out into it, I am almost always much happier for having enjoyed the beauty of it and for having breathed deeply.

But it is much more inviting to me to get outside during other seasons of the year. The sights, the smells, even the feel of nature is so invigorating and lifts the spirits.


Often my problems and low spirit just don't seem so heavy during a walk through the woods and even after I'm back at the indoor work, I feel lighter and more able to cope. Of course, there is that added benefit of breathing deeply and the endorphins produced by the slight exercise, but even if I just go sit out in the back yard, I feel better. I think that's why a lot of gardeners are more at peace - because they get to enjoy being in touch with nature.


Frequently I am so in awe of the beauty around me that my focus changes from dwelling on my problems (or even just the dullness of life) to praising God for His magnificence shown through so much of creation. A change in focus is precisely what we need when we're depressed or overwhelmed. As with everything, we can pervert this into escapism and not really deal with what we need to deal with, but a change of focus and perspective often helps us renew our minds and see that God is in control of it all and worthy of our continual praise and worship.

"Oh, that men would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness." Psalm 107:8-9



No comments:

Post a Comment