Classics Club Review - Little Men by Louisa May Alcott

Having read this book quite a few months ago, I'm long overdue with my Classics Club review, but better late than never.




This copy is part of a set of six that I own that includes the aforementioned Little Women.

I can't say that I enjoyed this story as much as I did Little Women. It seemed much heavier on the moralism and seems to preach the gospel of good works as sufficient to get people into heaven. That goes against all that the Bible teaches and contradicts its message of salvation through grace and faith alone because of the death and resurrection of Jesus.

But the characters are loveable and the care that Jo (Mrs. Bhaer) takes of the young men in their boarding school is inspirational. Some lessons had to be learned the hard way, but relationships were put to rights as quickly as possible and love ruled the day. The story of the wild orphan, Dan, is rather endearing.

And, as I enjoy sipping on tea as I read, I'll again mention the delights of the Alcott literary tea from Simpson and Vail Tea.

It was interesting to see the boys grow up and see what became of them as adults in Jo's Boys, but that's a separate book for later.

This review is for Classics Club as well as Belle's Library Victorian Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment