Monday Musings on Ukraine Mission Trip and This & That

Listening to Handel's Messiah as I write and being a little envious that the alto soloist, a man, is a better alto than I am. 😑 Thankfully my daughter reminded me that it's his job and he has much more practice time than I do. Also, with the beauty and majesty of this musical reminder of God's greatness and grace, how can I stay disgruntled?!

Speaking of said daughter, she just got back from a mission trip to Mukachevo, Ukraine and villages very near the Russian border. The team worked with Pastor Joel Sterling Brown (who updates regularly on Facebook) to sort, repackage, and deliver food and other basic living supplies as well as a power generator to various de-occupied villages. They got to play a "chaotic game of mostly kickball" with children from the church's refugee shelter as well as worship with youth groups and congregations along the routes of their travels. It was delightful for me to see her in videos, singing along in English with the Ukrainian versions of worship songs. It reminded me of the joy of singing with my Filipino church family as a missionary kid.

She plans to go back in early January to stay for about a month, doing whatever needs doing again, probably mostly working in the warehouse sorting and preparing donation deliveries as well as going along to deliver supplies. Our church folk are working at raising money for this endeavor as well as knitting, crocheting, and sewing hats to send back with her. 


She plans to stuff a couple of suitcases with these hats and cranking flashlights for the areas where there is no power or unreliable power and then just leave the suitcases there for use in deliveries. 

So I've been busy with communications as well as lots of crocheting. And of course I baked a family favorite chocolate chip cake to welcome her home. 😊

We got to enjoy some beautiful Christmas lights as we went to pick her up from the airport.





And she finally got to take up residence in the room that she had mostly built in our downstairs since our other daughter's family have moved to their remodeled house. Cozy, isn't it?! 


Near the foot of her bed is a window which looks out onto this egress area:




Yes, the bottle fence is done except for a cedar log top railing. I love it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
So, on to this week's goals...

Homemaking
* Keep decluttering bedroom, preparing for moving craft stuff downstairs
* Make more saurkraut
* Do a little Christmas baking
* Finish all Christmas shopping (yes, I'm late this year)

Crafts/Sewing
* Keep aiming at making at least one hat per day
* Fix Tree of Gondor quilt (though I'm totally intimidated)
* Hopefully Star BOM from longarmer and bind it
* Decide if I'll join February Blog Hop
* Bind Autumn Jubilee 2021 wallhanging



* Prep Autumn Jubilee 2022 for handquilting



Well, that ought to keep me busy while my husband is out of town for a few days and I have plenty of leftovers off which to live. 😄

Hope you meet your goals this week!



3 comments:

  1. So happy your daughter made it home safely, Kim. I so enjoy listening to Handel's Messiah as well. I hope she enjoys her room. Your bottle fence is gorgeous!! Great job! Have fun with your goals this week and thanks so much for linking up with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays - I always like to hear about mission trips, and thank your daughter for me for giving her time and talents to the people of Ukraine. I hope she is not in any danger while there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Kim. I can see we have several interests in common. I especially appreciate your family's support of and your daughter's work in Ukraine. Blessings for Xmas and the new year. :-)

    ReplyDelete