Harvest and Encouragement

While I love the planting time of gardening, the harvesting is even more fun. 


I get to see the results of my efforts.



Herbs and quilts so so well together, don't you think?



I made and hand-quilted this Ohio Star wall-hanging for my mom years ago and she's now at the stage where she's gifting back some of the gifts we've given her since she's trying to pare down her life at 86 years old.


So, right now it serves as a lovely backdrop for my three types of mints - chocolate, peppermint, and apple mint. Sadly, the pineapple mint did not survive the winter, nor did the catnip.



I do have what I call a "mystery mint" in the backyard that I think may be ginger mint that came along with a rooting of my downstate lilac when we moved her five years ago. It's kind of growing wild beside my new raised beds and sure smells good when I mow near there.

Recently I got to take a friend with me on my annual, sometimes semi-annual, pilgrimage to a little curiosity shop behind which are some magnificent flower gardens. She is a gardener, too, in fact much more knowledgeable than I, so she was inspired and refreshed by our excursion.


Her family has been going through a very rough and stressful time, so the outing was just what she needed for some relax time.


I thoroughly enjoyed the day, too.

Besides this place, we stopped at a nice little cafe for lunch, a wonderful pottery shop, and an Amish grocery store.

Sometimes the best way to bless someone (and yourself in the process) is to give them the gift of time and a change of scenery and once again reassure them that you're praying often for them. 

Some other ideas for blessing others include writing a caring and newsy letter to them, giving them a fresh-baked treat or handmade gift, suggesting a good book, or inviting them over for an informal get-together like a backyard cookout.

What ideas do you have for blessing others?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment