Ch-ch-changes

 Guess who just moved in with us?! Yup, granddaughter and her parents. They'll be building an apartment for themselves in our son-in-law's mom's basement to be able to care for her as she has Parkinson's and is not doing so well. They've already been a big help in getting a shared garden in and in inspiring her to hire builders and roofers to improve the house. So, while they make their new home, they're living in our basement.


Our basement has been the subject of much improvement over the past few months, mostly by DD1 who has been renting it from us. She has put up drywall, doing most the mudding and taping, too, while I am the official helper and painter. My husband did the complicated stuff of closets and wiring.



Once the walls were done, they figured out how to do the flooring and she did the majority of it while he had to work out of town.


She put the last puzzle piece in place yesterday as they were moving in. I think it looks pretty good!


We had started this project for DD1's sake and then she decided the Lord was calling her to go to Poland to assist in refugee work. Though it's taken a lot of patience, waiting for communication on how she can best do that, she now has plane tickets to go to California for a week of helping wildfire victims as a sort of trial run - how she works with this mission group and how they work with her. Then we assume they'll be ready to send her to Poland.

So, she doesn't actually get to live in the finished (mostly) basement after all the hard work she put into it. She's bunking with DD5 right now till she leaves on Saturday. But she's tickled that her niece has a good floor on which to crawl and toddle around. And we're so proud of her in many ways.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Other big projects that have kept me from blogging include the gardening. I used some leftover slabs from the sawmilling DH and DD1 did last summer to build two more raised beds. They are definitely not beautiful (I deliberately didn't take close-ups 😄), but they function very well and look fairly good from a distance. I had to fill them with sand (which is almost the only kind of soil we have here) that was left from our excavation quarantine project and didn't have any topsoil this time, but I'm adding lots of my vermicompost to enrich it.


They don't look too bad with some plants in them, if I do say so myself.


The older, taller beds were planted a while ago, so they look a little hardier.


I transferred some of my strawberry plants to this one so they could spread and completely fill it. They are working hard at it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Another project DD1 kindly helped me with was installing some new bookshelves so I could remove a bulky bookcase from my bedroom. 




These simple shelves are only six inches deep, so they save a lot of space compared to space-wasting Walmart-type bookcases. And I think they look pretty cool, though not quite as cool as the former ones above the piano which look especially lovely when the white Christmas lights are turned on.


After all, books are some of the best decor of all! 😃

*~*~*~*~*~*

This next week I hope to get back to working on organizing my recipes as well as decluttering my sewing corner and working on revamping a flower bed to make mowing easier. I also want to make a run to the Amish store to buy bigger bags of flours and make my spring-time pilgrimage to a nearby curiosity shop with gorgeous flower gardens. We'll see how that plan goes. 

I hope you've had a productive, beautifying time of it lately.









No comments:

Post a Comment