Spring Cleaning Outside

Over a nice cup of tea (this one in a lovely cup and pot that my sister-in-law got for me when she was in Poland), let me tell you about our recent improvements around Purring Cottage.


My sweet husband is able to borrow equipment from his job, so he and H dug out stumps from where frilly toothpick-shaped pines used to reside, like the ones across the street. They weren't very pretty and no longer served as windbreaks since they were so tall and skinny.


Yesterday I finished the majority of the smoothing of the soil there and planted about 10 serviceberry bushes/trees. They produced fruit somwhat like blueberries and grow well in our northern climate. They're also deer resistant, which is a big plus here.

While they did that, I cleaned out all the dead stuff from this small cottage garden which I hadn't cleaned out in the fall. It's now ready for the gorgeous flowers that will soon be sprouting up.


Yesterday I also made a simple compost bin with some thick chicken wire. I just made a cylinder and set it up over a piece of cardboard. Soon I'll add some of my kitchen vermicomposting to get it started along with veggie scraps and yard waste. Some of my vermicomposting went into the serviceberry holes; some will go in the square foot raised bed gardens as I plant; some will stay in the bins to start a new batch of vermicomposting. I'm learning a lot and enjoying it.

Next I plan to move my berry patch to a sunnier location that is farther from where the snowplow needs to pile snow in the winter. And I hope to plant some greens and put a plastic cover over my raised beds for those frosty evenings we might still get.

Hope your day is sunny!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment