Book Recommendations: 7 Men, and 7 Women, and the Secret of Their Greatness

 I just finished these two books and I highly recommend them. They contain short biographies of people whose greatness lay in their faith and empowerment in Jesus Christ.



Though 7 Men was written first, I read 7 Women first (ladies first, you know).


It is a very inspiring book about seven women who excelled in service to God and others, not by competing with men, but by using the gifts God had given them as women. As Metaxas says, "... their accomplishments are not gender-neutral but are rooted in their singularity as women." Regarding the controversial Joan of Arc, he says, " There was nothing even slightly 'manly' about her. On the contrary, it was her youth, innocence, purity, and holiness that made it possible for her to do what she did... It was precisely her vulnerability and womanly virtue that stunned and inspired the rough soldiers in a way that no man ever could do. It was because of these qualities that they were in awe of her and respected her."

He speaks as highly of the other six women's feminine attributes, too, and inspires me to use the gifts God has given me to serve Him by serving others.



Also very informative and inspiring! I already knew bits and pieces or more of each of these men, but was happy to learn more about their common source of strength in Jesus. I hadn't know (cuz the movie doesn't show such things) that Jackie Robinson was a commited Christian. It was also good to learn more about Pope John Paul II and Chuck Colson, both of whom I'd seen or heard in the media.

Now I hope to read 7 More Men and the Secret of Their Greatness. I hope you can read all three, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment