Autumnal Homemaking and Beauty

 


“It is true that all men are created in the image of God, but Christians are supposed to be conscious of that fact, and being conscious of it should recognize the importance of living artistically, aesthetically, and creatively, as creative creatures of the Creator. If we have been created in the image of an Artist, then we should look for expressions of artistry, and be sensitive to beauty, responsive to what has been created for us.” 

~ Edith Schaeffer

Some of the ways I've been able to be creative or enjoy beauty lately include:

    ~ a glorious drive to a pottery shop to pick up Christmas gifts I'd ordered. While there I discovered the potters are fellow followers of Christ and we had a nice talk about making art to the glory of God and finding connections with other Christian artists. I was able to introduce them to The Rabbit Room a community of Christians who encourage each other in writing, painting, drawing, singing, songwriting, etc.
  



    ~ being able to prepare for a ladies' day at church wherein we're going to make hearts on canvases to decorate the new ladies' room.

Here I'm embroidering while catching up on The Rabbit Room's online conference, Hutchmoot Homebound 2021.

I want to figure out how to adhere the fabric, pieced heart to the canvas with the hymn "Blest Be the Tie" in the background and the embroidery on top. I'm considering using resin to hold it all together. Need to experiment with that since I haven't done resin art in about 30 years.

    ~ always getting to enjoy my silly, sometimes pestiferous, kittens, Tyranny and Anarchy.


    ~ getting to make a small batch of old-fashioned chili sauce with the last of the tomato harvest



        ~ beautifying the house with plants, both the usual indoor ones and ones that I'm bringing indoors to try to use throughout the winter.


Violas are edible and add beauty to a salad


Spray-painted coffee cans with holes pounded into the bottoms make cute planters.


    ~ bringing in and preserving the last of the harvest before the frost and cold really set in.


    ~ feeling a little silly as I smile at my lunch salad that has freshly sprouted mung beans in it. (Yes, I know that's a lot of hull, but I don't mind and I was impatient to eat, so didn't continue rinsing them out. 😉) The mung sprouts are great in a simple omelet with a little parmesan cheese, too.


How have you noticed or created beauty recently? It sure lifts the spirit!


    


No comments:

Post a Comment