Vacation Fun and New Goals

 It has been awhile! Besides busily finishing up some Christmas gifts, we had a lovely vacation the week after Thanksgiving. But we're back an settling in, so here goes an update and new goals...


One of the things I made for gifting was Cinnamon Jelly. I haven't made it in a loooong time and even had to email a friends for the recipe her grandma had shared with us years ago. The friend sent it along with an email I'd sent her in 2009 desperately asking for said recipe. πŸ˜‚ I guess periodic requests for this easily loseable recipe is my way of staying in touch. 


Vacation was a combination of seeing our far-flung kids and grandkids and then just yondering south through the Shenandoah Valley along the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. Even without the leaves on the trees it was a gorgeous and fun trip.

Wintry village set-up at the old Columbus, OH library.


Getting to eat at a Filipino restaurant, which was so nice because I'd grown up in the Philippines.

We toured James Buchanan's home in Lancaster, PA,


enjoyed the gorgeous views as we drove,

explored the magnificent Luray Caverns,

admired Thomas Jefferson's home and gardens,

hiked around the Natural Bridge area,

toured Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's home,

and came home to snow.


It was a wonderful time, including getting to see friends we hadn't seen in about 15 years.


*~*~*~*~*~*
So, now we settle into normal life and Christmas celebration.

This nativity was a family painting project back in 1969 or so, when our family was on year-long furlough from the Philippines and lived with my aunt in her small house. Good memories. I'm priveleged to own it now.

Blurry Miss Pretty-pretty approves.

Now that we're empty-nesters, life has changed a lot, including how we decorate for Christmas. Instead of a large tree, which we actually gave to our daughters in Ohio, I'm setting out several little trees, including this one I just finished using three sizes of yo-yos.




The angel is a page torn from an old hymnal which already had missing pages, some wired ribbon, and a small ornament. I think the angel is a little too tall, but since it's hot-glued on, I would ruin it if I took it off to trim it.



I'm still working at attaching the fairy lights to this tree, which is yarn wrapped and glued to a metal frame from Michael's craft store. A fake tea-light inside the frame allows a little glow of light from it. So, one of my goals this week is to finish that up and enjoy it. (and also to clear the rest of the clutter/projects from my table).


Goals for this week:
Homemaking:
* Dehydrate the apples that were on sale
* Be faithful with already-set-up routines - a little cleaning every day
* Perhaps bake and freeze pumpkins & roast seeds

Crafts:
* Choose and start birthday cross-stitches
* Finish filling the last two Christmas tins/gifts
* Try to find yarn to finish baby afghan for pregnancy care center
* Make some kind of progress on neglected Scrappy Spools sewalong

Reading: (do lots now that it's winter)
* Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy by Mark Vroegop
* Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher (not sure how I'm liking this one yet)
* Catch up on writing reviews for Classics Club
* Essentialism by Greg McKeown
* Backwoods Home Anthology Year Four

Homesteading:
* Keep a close eye on Doenut's paw/claw that was cut and bleeding yesterday 😒 (She seems ok today and no more bleeding.)
* Make sure poop-chute is "draining" properly into tote
* Keep up with indoor microgreens/shoots
* Eagerly anticipate the bunnies that are due next week

Over-all:
* Try not to talk to self too much (or even to cats). It's weird and confuses the hubby. 😁
* Rejoice for Christ the Lord has come to save us!








5 comments:

  1. love your yo-yo trees. I made one from prairie points hot-glued to used-up thread cones. Have a box of supplies to make more. sueclive at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds fun and pretty. I'll have to remember that.

      Delete
  2. Hello fellow Michigander! Love your yo-yo tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It was fun to make while watching the snow swirl about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I love your yo-yo tree! It looks like it was fun to make. I've decided to let me big tree go even though our kids come home for Christmas. I mainly leave it for the grands, but they are now almost 12 and 15, but I think I'll get a smaller one than I have now. Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings.

    ReplyDelete