Literary Libations: Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life by Marta McDowell

 How I loved relaxing with and being inspired by this beautiful book!


Not only does it give pictures and descriptions of various gardens that were part of Beatrix's life, but it also shows some of her sketches as she studied nature and then incorporated a lot of that into her books.


She was an avid farmer/gardener and her husband seemed to enjoy her efforts and participated in some.


I just love her art style, so cozy and cute.


Much of her farming involved raising prize-winning sheep with the help of her head shepherd.



I'm inspired to continue my efforts to plant and tend perennials in my yard as well as to keep up my vegetable gardening. We don't have enough land where we are to raise meant anymore, but we might consider rabbits again (though we've never raised them for meat and I might have an emotional difficulty doing that. Rabbits are far cuter than chickens, in my opinion.) despite having sold our angoras.

This books would appeal to gardeners, artists, and farmers and I recommend it highly.

Try it with a pot of chamomile tea, of course. And this blend by Simpson and Vail is a favorite.






No comments:

Post a Comment