The Art of Gentle Domesticity Week 9


This week's book study has been on the concept of texture and I have to say that one of the softest things to feel is an angora rabbit. Their fur is like what I imagine a cloud would feel like if it felt like what it looks like. (Like, wow! I had a lot of likes in that sentence; I could be a teenager! 😊) I know that clouds are water, but they look so fluffy and soft that they seem like fur.


Baby lionhead rabbits are extra soft, too.


My daughter's homespun yarns are a delight to the touch also, some of which are 100% angora, some of which are various wools.

We have some of these in our Etsy shop with more to be added soon.
And, of course, fondling fabric is a felicitous thing to get to do. It is a delight to the touch and sight.



I have noticed that texture of food is a big thing for children and can really make some foods difficult to swallow, or even have in the mouth. Discerning whether or not a child should be made to "soldier on" or can be allowed to not eat that food takes a lot of wisdom, which I've not always had.

But some foods are just fun, like mashed squash and pudding (the American definition of pudding which is a smooth, creamy, sweet thing). Some people really enjoy crunchy stuff, which I did not for the longest time. Maybe it was because I had sensitive teeth. I had troubles eating carrots for much of my childhood, but can enjoy them more now. It wasn't the taste that bothered me; it was the crunch. 

I like to enjoy the texture of a book's pages and cover. Old hardcovers are especially soft as they've aged into it. Their pages were often more textured with bumpiness and the edges were often rather ragged looking, but have a somehow distinguished look and feel.


I've had kids who went through a stage of having to make sure that if they touched something with their right hand (or ear, or knee, etc.) they had to do likewise with the left side. It had something to do with their feeling of touch needing to be balanced. Fortunately, that stage didn't last too long.





1 comment:

  1. I'm the opposite with food. I need crunch, look for it, plan for it.
    My husband and two of my daughters can't eat yoghurt unless it's smooth...and they don't like chia pudding for that reason, saying they don't like the texture in their mouth.
    Every one of my children have some issue with texture but I see this as the norm now. :-)

    ReplyDelete