March Finish and April OMG

My March goal had been to finish the flimsy of this Canning Jar quilt and I met and exceeded my goal because I also got the hand-basting done and started using the stencils to mark for hand-quilting.


So, I'm enjoying working on the hand-quilting in the evenings as Lovey and I watch Hercule Poirot.





I got the April wallhanging hung to remember Holy Week. This was made by my four oldest kids a long time ago and it is precious to me because of that as well as because of what Jesus did for us as he took our sins upon the cross and then (spoiler alert) ROSE AGAIN! 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

April's One Monthly Goal, based on the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO Challenge (#4 for April) is completing into a flimsy this Journal Quilt. Previous UFOs I've had to guess when I started them (ie. just after Noah exited the Ark, or when Job's friends were not being very comforting), but this one has the date written on it - January 2011. Sadly, I do not know from what blog I got the pattern and when I thought I had figured it out, the blog no longer exists.


I have quite a few blocks that were written on, but not sewn into columns yet. I might have some blocks that are blank. I'll write some fun quotes on them, or maybe applique something cute on them, or draw something. We'll see how it goes once I get it all figured out. I'm also not sure if I want to hand-quilt this one to be a wall-hanging, or have it machine quilted into a bed quilt. 


One of my difficulties with light-colored bed quilts is that my kitties like to romp outside, including rolling around in the dirt driveway and tiptoeing through muddy spots and then they come snooze on my bed, leaving white fabric not so white anymore. It just looks kinda dingey.


So, I'll probably not want this light Journal Quilt to be a bed quilt.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
On the homesteading front, my last few seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds got here, so I'm pretty set to get things going as soon as the timing is right.



As you can see, the timing is not yet right, not even for starting seeds indoors till next week...


So I continue to try to learn patience. 😇






10 comments:

  1. I love the name of your blog! As well as the kitty in your header. :) Lol on your "spoiler alert" - it IS good news, isn't it? Your hand quilting is lovely. Your seeds look interesting - I bet you are itching to get them started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am super itching to get out to the gardens, but I'm also enjoying researching raising quail and rabbits, so it's all good.

      Delete
  2. Kim I love your Canning Jar Quilt! Those stencils look perfect for it. I admire your hand quilting ability! And I especially love your April wall hanging. That is sew special and yes such great news that He died for us and rose again. Your journal quilt is intriguing. Looking forward to seeing how that comes together. My Granny always went by the Old Farmer's Almanac to tell us when to plant...but usually it was on or after Good Friday. Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here in northern Michigan, we have to wait till Memorial Day weekend to plant, but I might try putting some out early in a make-shift hoop-house.

      Delete
  3. The Canning Jar quilt looks great. And I love your Easter quilt. That is precious and tells the best story of all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a Journal quilt before, but I love it! Have you had good luck with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to try a journal quilt of some sort sometime. They're kinda fun. I have had good success with Baker Creek seeds and am learning more about saving seed for next year. Also fun.

      Delete
  5. I hope you can try a journal quilt sometime. It was fun. I posted a tutorial since people were asking how to do it.
    I have had good success with Baker's seeds and am learning how to save heirloom seeds for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim your quilts are all lovely. I’m looking forward to seeing the Journal quilt progress and your quilting progress on the Canning Jar Quilt. Good luck with your weather warming up to get your seeds growing. Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. 😉 Carol QuiltSchmilt@gmail.com
    https://quiltschmilt.ca/2023/04/03/to-do-tuesday-linky-party-14/

    ReplyDelete