Classics Club Review - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


 While some may consider this book moralistic, I thought it was encouraging, helpful, fun, and the moral lessons were tucked in here and there in an inviting and realistic way. 

The cast of characters are loveable, warts and all. They are real, at least to the culture and time in which they were set, and in many ways remind me both of my childhood in the boonies of a third-world country and my children's childhoods where TV and internet were very limited in order to foster imagination, reading, and other creative activities. 

This is not a pie-in-the-sky kind of story and the March family faces some severe trials and heartaches, but we're shown how they walked through those things with help from God, family, and friends without becoming preachy, just a little big-sisterly sometimes. 

Since I used an audiobook for this one, I'll say that I enjoyed the rendition given by C.M. Hebert as she put good inflection in her voice and used believable accents and differing voice tones throughout. I really liked the book far better than the movies, though I did enjoy the Winona Ryder one a long while ago. For the rest of the set of Alcott books that I own, I do hope to read them in hard copy since I like the old set and want to use it.


So, now I'm on to Little Men. I think I will order some Alcott Literary Tea from Simpson & Vail Tea to go along with my endeavor. I sure enjoy their other literary teas.

To quote Tigger: "TTFN!"


This review is for Classics Club as well as Belle's Library Victorian Reading Challenge and fulfills Brighter Winter Reading for New-to-You (though I knew much about it, it was new in that I'd actually never read it).

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story! It's a favorite that I've read several times and I'm now enjoying it with my 13 year old daughter. It's her second time through! Thanks for the link to the literary teas. I will definitely be making an order!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this classic. It's been a very very long time since I read it. I'm not sure it would work for me the same as it did then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reread this one fairly recently, for the first time since childhood, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I still enjoyed the tale :-)

    ReplyDelete