Monday's Musings: On The Reading Life by C.S. Lewis

 Not only do I like to read, I like to read about reading. And, of course, C.S. Lewis is great reading whether fiction or not. He has such a piercing way with words and certainly doesn't mince them in his opinions.


This little book is a collection of essays and excerpts from letters addressing such topics as imagination, the comaraderie of readers, old books vs contemporary books, favorite authors, movies vs books, and so much more.

Here are a few favorite quotes:




{Which is why, at age 61, I'm rereading (audiobooks this time) the Chronicles of Narnia.}

I also underlined this one from the preface:

Literary eperience heals the wound, without undermining the privilege, of individuality...In reading great literature I become a thousand men and yet remain myself. Like the night sky in the Greek poem, I see with a myriad eyes, but it is still I who see. Here, as in worship, in love, in moral action, and in knowing, I transcend myself; and am never more myself than when I do.


I enjoyed the encouragement to keep reading and to read deeply. I hope you do, too. It's great with Simpson and Vail's Ceylon Orange Peko tea.


 And it's my first finish for the Unread Bookshelf Challenge.





3 comments:

  1. That book does sound intriguing. I also like to read and read about reading. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very interesting. Glad you enjoyed it. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-2-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. C.S. Lewis is always good reading ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete