August's One Monthly Goal and a New Granddaughter

I am going to give another go (never say die!) at achieving a monthly goal, but I must say I have a pretty good excuse for not having much sewing time (besides the gardening and helping my youngest get set up in a new job). 


Yep, our fourth grandchild, first granddaughter made her homebirth appearance on August 3rd and I've gotten to be the "mother's helper" while her husband had to do his 24 hour EMT shifts.


She's a little sweetie, of course, and we're having an interesting time helping her to discern daytime from nighttime and when she should or shouldn't be awake. You know how that goes. Since I've been staying the two nights when my son-in-law had to be gone, I'm gaining a greater understanding of why God gives babies to younger people. 😁 Especially when one has to get up at a decent hour to go practice music for church worship. But we're doing alright and very thankful for little Evie and that her mommy and daddy are doing well, too.

So my hopeful goal for the Elm Street Quilts OMG challenge is to finish a quilt one of my older daughters did as a BOM probably 10-12 years ago with our local quilt shop.


She soon after decided that quilting was not her passion and the blocks have sat neglected though I've had hopes of finishing the twin sized quilt myself for her to enjoy.

Note my photography helper




So my August goal is to get the top done and ready for the long arm quilter. I hope to put 1 inch black borders around each block, then a 1 inch jewel tone border, then another black, and put them together that way. Then I'll see if I need another outer border or two. Ta-da!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
In other news, the raised bed square foot garden is doing wondrously and we've enjoyed green, purple, and red beans, kale, cucumbers, and zinnias so far. The tomatoes are looking very promising for making lots of spaghetti sauce.







*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I just looked up to see that I now have two helpers. I think they approve of the project.



3 comments:

  1. That's going to be a super striking quilt! Love your idea of the black-jewel-black framing for the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!! She's so precious! Your comment about "why God gives babies to younger people" made me chuckle -- immediately thought of Sarah from the Old Testament, wife of Abraham and mother of Isaac. Supposedly she was 90 years old when she finally became a mother. Can you imagine being NINETY years old and having a newborn, in a tent, without any of our modern conveniences and "baby gear?" Better her than me, that's for sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I was 44 when I had my last one and was so thankful for older kids who could be helpful. Maybe Sarah had maids (probably other than Hagar by then) who helped.

      Delete