Hutchmoot Homebound Helps Handwork

There is a place, a rabbity, artsy place, called The Rabbit Room, wherein artists of all sorts gather to encourage art to the glory of God. Every year they have a conference called Hutchmoot and I've longed to attend for quite a few years now, but it hasn't worked out yet.

Enter Covid19 and the difficulty of gathering in person nowadays, so the kind folks of the Rabbit Room put the conference online at a very good price and I jumped at my opportunity. Hutchmoot Homebound was last weekend, but we have access to the talks, music, art for two weeks so I've been catching all I can when I can. I've greatly enjoyed thinking through concepts presented by Russell Moore (on the transformative nature of fiction and on C.S. Lewis's influence on Neil Gaiman), Sally Clarkson (on awaking wonder in our homes and children), Steve Taylor (on the need for quality art by Christians), S.D. Smith (on writing his Green Ember books), Jonathan Rogers and Helena Sorensen (on the value of fantasy stories), as well as others. I've listened to a little of Andrew Peterson's music and need to catch more of that. There is so much more for me to explore over the next week and a half and I look forward to it.


And, given who I am, I've made the most of the time to do my many handwork projects. I'm working on a mystery quilt with From My Carolina Home so marking half square triangles went well with listening to S.D. Smith's interview.


Still handquilting the Michigan Love quilt with Sherlock's "help."

Also still handquilting/repairing my aunt's antique quilt.


(FYI, it's very challenging to handquilt with a kitten on your lap.)

We also enjoyed our traditional family quest to a beautiful overlook that gives us a panoramic view of the fall colors. As usual, it was glorious.


The Swirling Leaves wallhanging came to a halt when I ran out of background fabric and the nearest Hobby Lobby is 45 minutes away. So, I'll have to replenish on Monday when I go near there. (The difficulties of trying to design a wallhanging when you don't want to do the math as well as the difficulties of living in the boonies, which I wouldn't trade.)


And I've been crocheting edging on flannel receiving blankets for a semi-local (see living in the boonies note above) pregnancy care center, again, with the very social kitten's "help."


I'm noticing that I'm kinda ADD with my crafting. So life is not dull. 😃 But I haven't been able to read much lately, which is ok. It's a rather seasonal pursuit (and I don't mean equinox kind of seasons).

4 comments:

  1. What a warm and cozy post. Your Hutchmoot conference sounds wonderful! And what a blessing you make progress on your crafting while you attend.
    I'm glad you shared with us this week at our Encouraging Hearts & Home blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one picture looks like Deadman's Hill near Elmira/Alba Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right; it is Dead Man's Hill. We've been making autumn treks there for many years. Do you get there often?

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful way to quilt and enjoy a conference - I am glad they offered it online for you!~

    ReplyDelete