Starting Something New While Finishing Somethings Old

This week I started (finally) on my daughter's wedding quilt. She was married on March 23rd, pushing up the planned April 4 wedding because of quarantine requirements which were to take effect at midnight on the 23rd. Her first-responder fiance got a sub for a few hours, got dressed up, got married at our house with immediate family present and others joining through Instagram video, and then had to go back to work. 


They both are very into The Lord of the Rings (the books, of course, though the movies are tolerable) so my daughter and I are designing a Tree of Gondor quilt. She printed up a poster size pattern and with the help of Wonder Under, I machine-appliqued the white tree to a sparkly black fabric. This will be the center panel.


Then, with the help of a tablerunner pattern in Quiltmaker magazine (July/Aug. 2010) I made a sample star block. There will be seven stars crowning and surrounding the tree.




It's a "figure it out as you go" project which will rely heavily on my husband's brilliantly mathematical mind. So stay tuned.

*~*~*~*~*

In other crafty news, I'm finally (what's with all these 'finalies'?) basting my Michigan wall-hanging in hopes of hand-quilting it before there is no more Michigan as we used to know it. I don't know how much longer we can hold out against the severe economic difficulties created by over-reaching government. 



Since evenings have cooled down (we don't have air-conditioning except in our bedroom), I hope it will be comfortable enough now to have this quilt over my lap for working on. I'm looking forward to doing it and hoping that my hand-quilting skills aren't too rusty since I haven't done it in several years.

I also decided to revamp the Days of the Week wall-hanging that I'd finished last month. I don't want to use it as a menu board after all, so am taking the hooks out and I cut off part of the right side to make it more even. So I'm rebinding it.



I hope your projects are moving right along and that you're enjoying the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment