Monday's Musing - A Christmas Season Memorial Service

I have not been to too many memorial services during the Christmas season, but last Saturday I went to one. I did not really know the deceased, but his wife and I have gotten to know one another a little at our homeschool co-op and his youngest daughter and two of my daughters have become pretty good friends while doing musicals together.

As I sat in the pew in this small old-fashioned church, I was struck by the nativity in the front, celebrating birth, new life, and hope, and thought of the death, end of life, and hope that we were memorializing. Kind of incongruous, yet not. You see, Mr. S. had placed his trust in the baby that grew up to pay the ultimate price for the sins of mankind. So, though he had died to this life, Mr. S. is more alive than ever with Jesus. And though his family and friends will miss him terribly, they have the blessed hope that Mr. S. is with Jesus, rejoicing, and that they will be reunited with him when they are reunited with their Savior.

So a memorial service during the Christmas season isn't altogether tragic - it celebrates our hope through the baby who came to earth for us.


At that cute old-fashioned church was an amazing work of art - a crochet work of the Lord's Prayer. It was about 3'x 2.5' and very detailed and precise.



I was in awe.


No comments:

Post a Comment