Felicitously Fondling Fabric Friday - Making Baby Bibs

On Monday I popped into our fairly nearby pregnancy care center and asked if I could serve by sewing or crocheting things for their "baby pantry." I was happy to learn that they needed crocheted blankets/afghans and some little spit-up bibs (which differ from toddler bibs in size).

So, off to JoAnn I went, making good use of coupons and the special 40% off everything deal that day and got some prequilted cream-colored fabric, some Buy-One-Get-One-Free bias tapes, and some of the Caron Simply Soft yarn.

Tuesday afternoon was pretty free, so I used the time to make four baby bibs using a simple template I'd found online and cut down to a slightly smaller size.

I first sewed the bias tape across the top (chin area) and then, leaving 12 inches as a tie ribbon, I sewed it in half and then all around the edges of the quilted fabric and then in half for the other 12-inch ribbon. (I had intended to get double-fold bias tapes, but accidentally got single fold so the bias tape edging is extra narrow. As it turns out, I like that feature because it makes the bibs look more delicate and cute, so will continue to use single fold.)


I just love these bright colors, don't you?!


Using my tried and true method of making templates - cookie cutters traced onto light cardboard, in this case file folders, I made little applique figure of scrap fabrics and Wonder Under.


Satin-stitching or zig-zaggin around the applique insures that these bibs will survive many washings.






Besides the bibs, I started a baby afghan that I'll show you another time. I also plan to try making a different pattern to make reversible bibs. 

It was fun to be sewing again.

3 comments:

  1. They are so cute! And well done for doing these to donate.. you will be a blessing to many! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do hope to be a blessing. And they're fun to make. 😊

      Delete
  2. What a blessing you are! I'm sure these bibs will be used and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete