Back in the Saddle

Well, look at this! I have a blog! Who knew?!

With the coming of the school year, I'm desperately hoping to have a regular schedule instead of flitting here and there. And in that regular schedule, I hope to make time for sewing and blogging, both of which have gone by the wayside with all our summer activities.

Today, however, I'm having a "do whatever I durn please" day. My daughters are all off camping up north till tomorrow, I had a nice day and a half alone with my Lovey, so today I played.

I didn't even make my bed...cuz Sabastian got there first. And I certainly wouldn't want to disturb him.


In the morning I did some old-fashioned figuring and designing to make a queen-sized quilt for my daughter who is getting married this month. Yeah, I know I'm being very tardy, but I hope to at least have the top finished in time. 



 I used this book as my guide because it gives cutting charts for all kinds of sizes of blocks. Her method does involve a lot of "waste," but as a scrappy quilter, I know I'll find ways to use the cut-offs.


By late afternoon I had finished figuring and started cutting and sewing. Roo had chosen the fabrics herself and I'd bought what I thought I'd need, though I hadn't done the figuring yet. Heh. 

Turns out I'd bought too much of the red and purple and not enough of the blue-gray. Fortunately, I have to go into the big city again tomorrow, so will pop into Hobby Lobby and get more.


Though I'm using an assembly line method of piecing many blocks at once, I couldn't resist making up one block all the way. This is an 18" block. I don't usually make such big blocks, so this seems really huge. I'll be tucking 9" blocks between these big ones to make a more interesting layout.


It feels so good to get back at my sewing machine for more than a quick mending job!

I have completed one of my Finish-along projects. I like to crochet while watching Person of Interest or movies, so it has gotten done in the evenings. I have made a little progress on embroideries, but not as much since that requires more concentration of eyesight and I miss stuff on the TV. 


I kinda like dragonflies though some people can't stand them. I hope this dragonfly pattern pleases someone at the family center where I hope to donate it. You can find the pattern at DesMaunzDesigns on Etsy or DMaunz on Ravlry. As I look more closely at her pattern and my finished product I can see where I deviated, probably because the TV got too exciting. Ha!


Hope life is settling down a little at your end, too, and that you have more time for the cozy arts.


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your daughter’s upcoming wedding! The star quilt will be beautiful. I hope assembly goes smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is going to be fantastic! Glad you found some time in the sewing room, and of course you couldn't kick the gorgeous kitty off your bed... I think he should be there every time you go to make up your bed - save you a lot of time :P Love your crochet blanket, you're much better at it than I am! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be a great looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete