Funday Friday - The One With the Pesto, Sweet Science, and Marigolds

This week had a variety of fun stuff happening.

I made pesto with my garden's basil.



With this simple recipe, I made about 2 1/2 jelly jars:

Into blender, put: 3 c. basil leaves
                             1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pine nuts
                             4 cloves garlic, peeled
                             1 c. good quality olive oil (this really affects the taste)
Mix well and add: 1/4 c. grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
                              salt and pepper to taste


Next I want to try it with my purple basil. That should make an interesting color!


DD5 had fun with her science, helped by DD1 who is kind of a science nerd and is so helpful with little sister's studies before she goes off to work at an assisted living home. This week they built bonded molecules out of mini-marshmallows and, believe me, there was lots of snitching going on!


We're using God's Design in Chemistry curriculum from Answers in Genesis and it covers quite a lot and has lots of interesting demonstrations. I'm quite impressed and wish I'd found it years ago.



Then when I saw that we were about to get a frost, we bundled up and went out to harvest the rest of our small garden, including what turned out to be a feast of color.


Not only are they wonderful to look at, but marigolds (calendula) have a plethera of uses, including adding nutrients to my kombucha and for use in making our Super Salve. We steeped a flower in our evening pot of tea.



I hope your week was blessed.


2 comments:

  1. my moms favorite flower is marigold They are awonderful hardy flower that has the perfect colors for fall. Sounds like you have been busy. I welcome you to come visit us when you find time shopannies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mums are a wonderful fall flower, too, blooming when the others are quitting.

      Delete