Gone, But Not Forever

The past few weeks have been busy in a different (and definitely more exhausting way) than usual. While our son and daughter-in-law took advantage of an all-expenses-paid trip to Jamaica gifted by his employer, Lovey, Peanut, and I went to care for their two sons and got to care for our other grandson who lives right nearby also.



The two one-year-olds were hilarious together and kept these old grandparents on their toes. I had hoped that chasing them around would help me lose a few pounds, but it doesn't appear to have done that. Maybe because of the lattes that were so easily accessible in the big city. 😁

One day we took time to visit the Mennonite Information Center there where we watched a video on Mennonite history and, most importantly to us and our current history studies, enjoyed a presentation on the Israelite wilderness tabernacle. They had a life-size model of it and an explanation of the stuff in and around it. It was good and will help Peanut envision what we're talking about as we continue to study that era.

One of the pieces of art that fascinated me was this "painting" of early Mennonite settlers...


...which looked so 3D...


...because it was actually a carving in a frame.


This mural of the Israelite camp with the tabernacle and its courtyard was on the wall leading to the actual model of the tabernacle.


I had to take one of the grandsons out to use up some of his energy during the tabernacle presentation, so I didn't get pictures during the picture-taking time. But it was a good presentation, giving glory to the God who dwelt with his people.

So, now that I'm back home, I hope to get into the Reading Challenges I've signed up for as well as sewing/quilting goals. I want to do more charity quilting this year. I did a lot of reading on the 13 hour drive as well as listening to a Schole Sisters podcast on reading the "lost classics." Good stuff that I'll share soon.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like an amazing time with the children and what you were able to see and do. That 3D picture is really amazing! I would love to see a full-size tabernacle. I always want to see the full-size Noah's ark they built in Denmark, too. I'll be interested in knowing which classics are considered lost, and how many I might have read. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't give a list per se, but here's the link to the podcast and the page gives a list of the books mentioned in the interview as well as an upcoming link to recommended books. https://www.scholesisters.com/ss43/

      Delete